Law: Pre-Law Resources
These resources are intended to support classes where legal research is an element of the curriculum.
Resources at Virginia Tech
- Pre-Law at Virginia TechThis website has been prepared by the University pre-law advisors to provide general information on pre-law studies at Virginia Tech, along with cross-references to sources that prospective students, enrolled students, and alumni/ae of Virginia Tech may wish to consult.
- Career & Professional Development and Career Resource Center at VTThe Career Resource center is located in the Smith Career Center, and contains a library with more than 800 books covering topics including exploring career fields, internships, job search, and graduate and professional school.
LSAT Resources at Newman Library
- LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible byCall Number: KF285.Z9 K545 2015ISBN: 9780991299225Publication Date: 2014-11-01Check availability of this item The PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible is the most comprehensive book available for the Logic Reasoning section of the LSAT. This book will provide you with an advanced system for attacking any Logical Reasoning question that you may encounter on the LSAT. The concepts presented in the Logical Reasoning Bible are representative of the techniques covered in PowerScore's live courses and have been consistently proven effective for thousands of our students. The book features and explains a detailed methodology for attacking all aspects of Logic Reasoning problems, including recognizing question types, identifying common reasoning elements and determining their validity, the methods for efficiently and accurately making inferences, and techniques for quickly eliminating answer choices as you solve the questions.
- LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible byCall Number: KF285.Z9 K552 2015ISBN: 9780991299232Publication Date: 2014-11-01Check availability of this item. The PowerScore LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible is the definitive guide to the Reading Comprehension section of the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), featuring official LSAT passages and questions with complete explanations. This book will provide you with a powerful and comprehensive system for attacking any Reading Comprehension question that you may encounter on the LSAT. The concepts presented in this publication are representative of the techniques and approaches that have been tested in PowerScore's live LSAT preparation courses and have consistently been proven effective for countless students. In an effort to clearly explain the fundamental principles of the Reading Comprehension section, this book contains substantial discussions of how to deconstruct the passages, how to identify and attack the questions, and how to successfully avoid traps set by the test makers.
- Essays That Will Get You into Law School byCall Number: KF285.Z9 K38 2009ISBN: 9780764142291Publication Date: 2009-08-01Check availability of this item. A successful law school candidate must be articulate and capable of clear, consecutive thinking--qualities that invariably translate into their written work. This updated manual instructs law school applicants on preparing the style of essay that is required for law school admission. Approximately 40 model essays originally submitted by applicants to leading law schools are presented in this book with a critique following each essay. General essay-writing advice is also included.
- Conquering Lsat Logic Games byCall Number: KF285.Z9 M34 2008ISBN: 9780071497947Publication Date: 2007-09-12Check availability of this item. This book includes 72 practice games with solutions. The authors are Harvard Law School students who aced the LSAT and have developed techniques to beat the test.
- McGraw-Hill's Conquering LSAT Logic Games byCall Number: KF285.Z9 M34 2006ISBN: 0071468722Publication Date: 2006-03-01Check availability of this item. Don't let the LSAT's logic games puzzle you McGraw-Hill's Conquering LSAT Logic Games was created by Curvebreakers--a group of Harvard Law students who scored in the 99th percentile or better on the LSAT. They guide you through a series of progressively more difficult logic games, just like the ones you'll encounter in that section of the LSAT. You'll see your skills building gradually until you can tackle the most challenging logic problems with confidence.
- McGraw-Hill's LSAT byCall Number: KF285.Z9 C87 2007ISBN: 9780071485715Publication Date: 2007-02-01Check availability of this item. Revised and expanded McGraw-Hill's popular LSAT guide, specially created by top-scoring Harvard Law students-with eight practice tests on CD-ROM The new, updated edition of this popular book/CD-ROM combination is the LSAT guide you can trust. That's because the authors are Harvard Law School students who aced the LSAT and are now willing to share their unique test-taking expertise. A proven bestseller in its first edition, this unique guide is now updated, revised, and expanded with inside advice on succeeding in law school. The accompanying CD-ROM allows you to practice your test-taking skills with eight sample tests in convenient computerized format with automatic timing, scoring, and other helpful features.
- McGraw-Hill's LSAT (2005 eBOOK) byISBN: 9780071448055Publication Date: 2005-05-01Created and classroom-tested by current Harvard Law School students, all of whom scored in the 99th percentile or higher on the test, and based on the highly popular Curvebreakers LSAT prep course, this reference gives test preparers an unbeatable edge.
- Master the LSAT (2005 eBOOK) byISBN: 9781889057118Publication Date: 2016-07-19Comprehensive, Rigorous Prep for the LSAT. To prepare properly for the LSAT, you must study problems that reflect the true LSAT format. The best way to do that is to study actual LSAT tests. Now, you can do that with this book! MASTER THE LSAT contains detailed solutions to numerous actual LSAT questions, carefully selected to illustrate every type of question that has appeared on the test in the past several years, including thorough analysis of 2 official LSATs! These solutions will introduce you to numerous analytic techniques that will help you immensely not only on the LSAT but in law school as well. The LSAT is an aptitude test. Like all aptitude tests, it must choose a medium in which to measure intellectual ability. The LSAT has chosen logic. Although this makes the LSAT hard, it also makes the test predictable--it is based on fundamental principles of logic. MASTER THE LSAT analyzes and codifies these basic principles: the contrapositive, the if-then, pivotal words, etc. Armed with this knowledge, you will have the ability to greatly increase your score. Features: * Analytical Reasoning: Learn powerful diagramming techniques and step-by-step strategies to solve every type of game question that has appeared on the LSAT. * Logical Reasoning: Discover the underlying simplicity of these problems and learn the principles of logic these questions are based on. * Reading Comprehension: Develop the ability to spot places from which questions are likely to be drawn as you read a passage. (pivotal words, counter-premises, etc.) * Mentor Exercises: These exercises provide hints, insight, and partial solutions to ease your transition from seeing LSAT problems solved to solving them on your own. * Complete analysis of 2 official LSATs.
- LSAT Exam Prep byISBN: 9780789735959Publication Date: 2006-10-25LSAT® Exam Prep COMPREHENSIVE--Succeed with comprehensive learning and practice tests Prepare with four comprehensive practice tests Analyze your test readiness and areas for further study with chapter tests Learn important test-taking strategies to maximize your score and diminish your anxiety Score Higher on the LSAT Exam! We provide you with the proven study tools and expert insight that will help you score higher on your exam. Study Tips give you advice and instruction that a personal tutor might provide. Exam Alerts provide you with hints and strategies that will help you reduce your mistakes on the exam. Practice Questions include detailed explanations of correct and incorrect answers--so you can learn the material by understanding why an answer is correct or incorrect. Comprehensive discussion of all subject areas covered by the LSAT "This book is a lifesaver! I have tried other prep-books, but they failed to provide the realistic experience that this book offers. It includes an unmatchable section on logic skills for the Logical Reasoning and Analytical Reasoning sections. This is a must have for any serious law school applicant." --Lindsey Simmons, Texas Tech University, Class of 2006 Written by Leading Experts on the LSAT Exam! Steven W. Dulan has personally prepared thousands of students for success on standardized entrance exams at locations around the United States since 1989. Steve scored in the top 1% on all of his own standardized exams. He is the author of several test prep books, has taught courses at the college and law school levels, and is the founder of Advantage Education®. LSAT is a registered trademark of the Law School Admission Council, Inc., which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
- Law School Confidential byCall Number: KF283 .M55 2004ISBN: 9780312318819Publication Date: 2004-01-17Check availability of this item. Law School Confidential is written for students about to embark on this three-year odyssey by students who have successfully survived. It demystifies the life-altering thrill ride that defines an American legal education by providing a comprehensive, blow-by-blow, chronological account of what to expect. It arms students with a thorough overview of the contemporary law school experience. This isn't the advice of graying professors or battle-scarred practitioners decades removed from law school. Miller has assembled a panel of recent graduates to act as "mentors", all of whom are perfectly positioned to shed light on what law school is like today. From taking the LSAT, to securing financial aid, to navigating the notorious first semester, to taking exams, to applying for summer internships, to getting on the law review, to tackling the bar and beyond...this book explains it all.
- Tomorrow's Lawyers byISBN: 9780198796633Publication Date: 2017-05-25The book introduces the new legal landscape and offers practical guidance for those who intend to build careers and businesses in law. Tomorrow's Lawyers predicts that we are at the beginning of a period of fundamental transformation in law: a time in which we will see greater change than we have seen in the past two centuries.
- 24 Hours with 24 Lawyers byCall Number: KF300.K56 2011ISBN: 9780314276315Publication Date: 2011-04-01Check availability of this item. Are you thinking of attending law school or switching to a legal career? Are you curious about what lawyers in different fields do in a typical day? Then spend twenty-four hours with twenty-four lawyers. You will read actual twenty-four-hour accounts from the perspective of a venture capitalist, Wall Street lawyer, lobbyist, entertainment lawyer, IP attorney, sports broadcaster, JAG officer, prosecutor, criminal defense lawyer, mediator, and politician, just to name a few.
- Career As a Business LawyerISBN: 9781423765356Publication Date: 2006-01-01Largest Legal Specialty: Advise and Represent Corporations and Government Agencies As They Navigate Today's Complex Changing Legal System
- Career As a Criminal LawyerISBN: 9781423799320Publication Date: 2006-01-01Your Career Can Include Private Practice (solo or a Large Firm), Public Prosecutor or Public Defender
- Careers for Legal Eagles and Other Law-and-Order Types byISBN: 9780071438582Publication Date: 2005-04-21Careers For You is the only career series to help you turn your passion into a paycheck! The inspiring Careers for Legal Eagles & Other Law-and-Order Types lets you explore the field's job market through the unique lens of your own interests. Vital information on each job includes: The latest details on training and education Stories of success Advice on competing in hot job markets Tips on transforming your hobby into job skills Expert advice on finding and getting the job
- Opportunities in Law Careers byISBN: 9780071392082Publication Date: 2001-03-31Opportunities in Law Careers offers job seekers essential information about a variety of careers in the field of law. The book includes training and education requirements, salary statistics, and professional and Internet resources.
- What's a Good LSAT Score?Facts to know about your LSAT score and other factors important for law school admittance.
- Law Admissions LowdownLaw Admissions Lowdown, authored by Stratus Admissions Counseling, provides advice to prospective students about the law school application process, LSAT prep and potential career paths. Stratus is a global admissions counseling firm based in New York City. The blog is hosted by U.S. News & World Report.
- The LSATUnderstand how the test is scored, what's on it, and how to prepare. Also includes links to test dates and costs.