Library Help: Find Books & Ebooks
Discovery Search includes records for all of our print and online books. You can use the Source Type limiter to limit search results quickly to books or ebooks.
Request a book
There are times when you will need to request a book (or other materials):
- when you'd like us to retrieve the book in advance of your visit (use the Place a Hold,link in the catalog)
- when the book is checked out to another person (use the Place a Hold link in the catalog)
- when the book is located in a branch library (use the Place a Hold link in the catalog)
- when you want the library to purchase the book (use the Suggest a Purchase form)
- when you are not a local resident (use ILLiad to have the book mailed to you)
- when the Virginia Tech Libraries do not own the book (use ILLiad to request the book from another library)
Students, faculty and staff of Virginia Tech use their Hokie Passports to check out books. (Other patrons can register for a library card.) The checkout period, the number of renewals, and any fines for overdue materials depend on your current status.
The first time you login, you'll be prompted to create a profile in the system. Afterwards, you can request books, videos, articles, patents, theses and dissertations, and standards.
How to Find and Check Out a Book
Join Moose, the therapy dog at Cook Counseling Center, as he finds and checks out a book at Newman Library.