Children's literature: Finding Resources
How to Find Children's Books in Newman Library
Children's Literature Section
On the 3rd floor of Newman Library, you will find the children's literature collection which consists of both fiction and non-fictions. Titles often have historical and critical value.
Browsing this Collection
To browse the collection physically, just head up to the third floor. To browse digitally, you can use the library's catalog.
- Start on the catalog's home page
- Then click advance search
- Under shelving location on the bottom of the advance search page, choose "Newman Juvenile" and search.
- Then filter to what you are looking for using the filters on the left.
Finding a Physical Book
If you know what book you are looking for, you can do a title search in Discovery search on the library's home page lib.vt.edu.
Children's Literature in Electronic Format
We also have children's literature available in ebook via discovery search and in International Children's Digital Library listed below.
Finding Critical Sources on Children's Literature
Critical Writing on Children's Literature
To find critical writing on children's literature, you should look in a number of places.
Start with Discovery Search
Discovery search is the main search box on the library's website. While it does not search everything the library owns, it does search a lot of it. Discovery search has physical books listed as well as e-books, scholarly articles, newspaper articles, gray literature, and numerous other kinds of information. To learn more about how to use Discovery Search check out this guide.
Note that physical books about Children's Literature (not the actual children's literature) will be located in the P section of the 3rd floor.
Databases Dedicated to Children's Literature
Databases dedicated to children's literature are listed below with short descriptions
Ask a Librarian
Interlibrary Loan Services
All current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff, regardless of your location, may request through ILLiad for materials:
- not owned by Virginia Tech (books, articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
- owned by Virginia Tech but are unavailable for use (print books)
- owned by Virginia Tech and available in print (scans of articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
We ship requests via UPS to users outside the immediate Blacksburg area (Montgomery, Giles and Pulaski counties).
Articles, book chapters, and many technical papers are delivered in PDF format to your ILLiad account. Occasionally, due to copyright restrictions, a paper copy of an article or standard is held for your at the Newman User Services Desk or sent o the mailing address listed on your account.