STAT 1004: Learning From Data: Infographics
This is a LibGuide for STAT 1004, the First Year Experience in Learning from Data
What is an Infographic?
An infographic is a visual, creative graphical representation of information or data. Using infographics can enhance perception of patterns or trends in data and can enable better recall of information over time.
Visual Display of Quantitative Information
"Graphical displays should
- show the data
- induce the viewer to think about the substance rather than about the methodology, graphic design, the technology of graphic production, or something else
- avoid distorting what the data have to say
- present many numbers in a small space
- make large data sets coherent
- encourage the eye to compare different pieces of data
- reveal the data at several levels of detail, from a broad overview to the fine structure
- serve a reasonably clear purpose: description, exploration, tabulation, or decoration
- be closely integrated with the statistical and verbal descriptions of a data set.
Graphics reveal data" (p. 13).