PPE 4884 - Hersch: General Searching
Searching with Keywords
Three steps to keyword searching success:
1. Pull out the most important words in your topic or research question and use them to search. Hint: look for the nouns. Example:
- Research Question: Does listening to classical music improve intelligence?
- Keywords: classical music, intelligence
2. Then, think about synonyms or related terms for your keywords. Example:
- classical music: Mozart, Bach, chamber music, opera, symphony
- intelligence: smart, brain, intellect
3. Try searching with a few of your keywords at a time. Not liking your results? Try a different combination or think more carefully about the kind of information you're looking for. Who would be writing about this topic? What kind of language would they use?