Honors College Credit Tracker Support: Professional Development
This guide will link you to resources directly related to the ways in which Honors students can receive credit at Virginia Tech.
Professional Development Resources
- This Is How to Get Your Next Job by Even in a bad economy, companies have job openings they can't fill. Considering the millions of people who are out of work or unhappily employed, how can that be?What are job seekers doing to turn off employers? And what is it that employers want but aren't finding? Leading career expert and syndicated columnist Andrea Kay asked employers one simple question: why didn't you hire the last ten people you interviewed? What it came down to, every time, wasn't a matter of skills or experience, but how applicants seemed based on what they said or did. From lack of preparation, to pushiness, to a subtly defensive attitude, it's the simple behaviors prospective employees exhibit before, during, and after interviews that stand between them and job offers. Based on candid insights from real-life employers, and featuring a foreword by Richard Nelson Bolles, bestselling author ofWhat Color Is Your Parachute?, this book helps job hunters take control of how they come across to the people in charge of hiring. From "20 Things You Should Never Do" to a "Would You Hire You?" test,This Is How to Get Your Next Job helps readers show hiring managers who they are and why they're the perfect fit for the job they seek.ISBN: 9780814432211Publication Date: 2013-04-17
- Job Hunting for Rookies by For anyone who is seeking a new job and wants to make sure they get a great one! Part of the launch of a major new series - 'Rookies'- by Marshall Cavendish. Become skilled and knowledgeable in just one week- information and advice is straight to the point, fast to read and easy to digest. The one-stop manual for job hunters of all levels. Written by a leading practitioner and expert in the field. Virtually everyone will have to go through the process of looking for a new job at one stage in their career. In fact these days, it's not uncommon to be doing this half a dozen times throughout your whole career. But the difference between finding an ordinary job and a job that is great comes down to the job-hunting techniques that you adopt. This book is aimed at anyone who is job hunting. It will show you how to ensure you are successful in your search. Moreover, by applying these techniques, the book will steer you towards a job that matches your ambitions and interests, to ensure that you end up with one that provides you with all-round satisfaction. Rob Yeungis a leading career advisor and business psychologist. He is the author of several books on careers and appears frequently on national television as an expert commentator and presenter. He is based in Hammersmith, London.ISBN: 9780462099569Publication Date: 2009-04-01
- 101 Successful Networking Strategies by Now business professionals and job seekers can master the strategies needed to maximize networking opportunities and achieve results with the fast-paced, effective approach found only in Kramer's 101 SUCCESSFUL NETWORKING STRATEGIES. Written by accomplished career coach and clinical psychologist Eric Kramer, this unique book applies the latest research in social intelligence to networking like no other book. Easy to read and understand, with strategies that are simple to implement, 101 SUCCESSFUL NETWORKING STRATEGIES offers a wealth of recommendations today's readers can instantly implement to become master networkers. The book's brief "What to Think/What to Do" presentation focuses on the most important concepts behind networking to ensure readers achieve success in this critical business and life skill of networking. This book's specialized knowledge and scientifically proven skills equip new and expert business professionals with strategies to approach any networking opportunity with confidence.ISBN: 9781435459847Publication Date: 2011-03-14
Career and Professional Development
- Career and Professional Development HomepageCareer and Professional Development provides VT students with a variety of resources and support services.
Job and Internship Guide
Career Resource Center
- Career Resource CenterLocated in the Smith Career Center, which contains a library with more than 800 books covering topics including exploring career fields, internships, job search, and graduate and professional school.
Career Field Resources
- Career Field ResourcesThese resources allow students to choose career fields and industries for resources to help them explore careers, seek internships and other experience, and seek post-graduation jobs.
Undergraduate Research Services Librarian
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Office: Newman Library 3043
Subjects: Social sciences and education