Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Questions about data?
If you have questions about the data or visualizations, scroll down to About the Data.
Circulation and Downloads Graph
Circulation and Downloads
Circulation Percent Change
About The Data
- Initial circulations (excluding reserves), counting the number of items lent, not total borrowers
- This includes the number of initial circulations during the fiscal year from the general collection for use usually (although not always) outside the library. Numbers include media circulation.
- This does not include: renewals, e-books
- This does include: circulations to and from remote storage facilities for library users (i.e., do not include transactions reflecting transfers or stages of technical processing).
- E-preferred purchasing policy, effective 2013.
- ARL Median calculated to exclude institutions without students, e.g. New York Public Library, Library of Congress.
- ARL methods of counting students have changed over time. Currently, ARL instructs libraries to use Fall enrollment figures as reported to IPEDS.