Creative Writing: Inspiration & Resources
KOMUNYAKAA: "I think everything around them should be a source of inspiration. If we are really engaged with the world, it can be the small things, those things that we think of as insignificant. It can be a meditation on something as basic as a maggot, which I have a short poem about. Usually many poets start out with those grand abstractions—victory, truth. I tell them, yes they can wrestle with those grand abstractions, but don’t be afraid to face the world that they can put their hands on."
This is from Fox, Alan. A Conversation Between Yusef Komunyakaa and Alan Fox. Rattler. https://www.rattle.com/a-conversation-with-yusef-komunyakaa/
Maps, Geography, & Place
- PolicyMapPolicyMap provides data through interactive maps about communities and markets across the U.S., for research, market studies, business planning, site selection, grant applications, and impact analysis.
- Social ExplorerSocial Explorer provides visualizations of social science data sets, including the US census and the American Community Survey.
- USGS National Geologic Map DatabaseUSGS National Geologic Map Database provides maps and related data about: geology, hazards, earth resources, geophysics, geochemistry, geochronology, paleontology, and marine geology.
- Rosetta StoneRosetta Stone offers online instruction in 25 languages, including English as a second language. Always start with the Login with CAS link, where you'll create a personal profile to track your progress. Mobile app versions are available as well (after the app is installed, start with the above link in your browser).
- ArtstorArtstor provides high quality images of visual media like paintings, photographs, architecture, sculpture, decorative arts, and other forms of visual culture. It provides tools to create, manage, and present collections of images. Prehistoric times-present.
- FastcaseFastcase provides access to primary law (state and federal), cases, statutes, regulations, court rules, and constitutions. You can search by case or keyword. You can view how many times a case has been cited.
- American National Biography OnlineAmerican National Biography provides HTML full-text biographical entries and over 2,700 illustrations on 18,700 men and women -- from all eras and walks of life -- whose lives have shaped the nation. It includes access to The Oxford Companion to United States History encyclopedia with entries on all aspects of American history.
- Biography Index Retrospective: 1946-1983 from EBSCOhostBiography Index Retrospective indexes citations of biographical articles and book chapters, interviews and profiles, and obituaries covering over 300,000 people: public figures, writers, artists, sports figures, politicians, religious leaders, scientists, educators, military leaders, teachers, actors, and business people. 1946-1983.
- Gale Biography In ContextBiography in Context provides access to over 600,000 biographies in HTML sourced from reference works, news reports, magazines and academic journals. It provides links to related websites, images, audio, and video clips.
- Oxford Dictionary of National BiographyThe Oxford Dictionary of National Biography is an illustrated collection of more than 57,000 specially written biographies of the men and women from around the world who shaped all aspects of Britain's past. Includes deceased persons only.
Teaching and Learning Engagement Librarian
Writers Writing about Inspiration
- The Situation and the Story byISBN: 0374167338Publication Date: 2001-10-03
- The Triggering Town byISBN: 039333872XPublication Date: 2010-08-09
- Bird by Bird byISBN: 0679435204Publication Date: 1994-09-06
- Leaping Poetry byISBN: 0822960036Publication Date: 2008-10-28