Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How to search
Catalog Search: Search bibliographic fields such as Title, Author, Publication Date.
Full-text Search: Use keywords to search all the words in all the works in HathiTrust.
Collection Builder: Search inside a collection of materials that you or others have created.
Single-volume Search: When viewing a work in the page-viewing application, use keywords to search inside that volume alone.
Search tips: catalog and full-text
Phrase Searching: Use quotes to search for an exact phrase: e.g., "occult fiction".
Wildcards: Use * or ? to search for alternate forms of a word. Use * to stand for several characters, and ? for a single character: e.g., optim* will find optimal, optimize or optimum;wom?n will find woman and women.
Boolean Searching: Use AND and OR (capitalized) between words to combine them with Boolean logic: e.g., (heart OR cardiac) AND surgery will find works about heart surgery or cardiac surgery
- Find many of the texts you need in HathiTrust’s digital library of 17 million books, journals, and publications, then create a collection of these items for future reference or to share with others.
- Perform full-text (keyword or phrase) searches across the entire corpus or within a selection of items.Use full-text searches to discover what you’re looking for or to identify items for interlibrary loan or research bibliography.
- Distinguish primary source or peer-reviewed items with greater ease as HathiTrust metadata are more nuanced and consistently applied than in other digital repositories such as Internet Archive or GoogleBooks.
- View or download citations for any item in the collection in MLA or APA format.
- Use faceted searching, metadata tools, or HathiTrust Research Center services to perform complex analyses, data mining research, and other digital humanities activities.