New York Times: Home
Accessing the University Libraries Subscription to The New York Times
Users may access the New York Times through the University Libraries' homepage or obtain an academic pass from the New York Times.
New York Times passes are available for current faculty, staff and students. When you have activated a pass, you will have access to The New York Times online without needing your own subscription. While you have an active pass, you will be able to use The New York Times and apps from anywhere in the world without connecting through the University Libraries.
New York Times Academic Pass
Obtaining a Pass
To redeem a New York Times Pass, using your PID/password, navigate to the New York Times Welcome page.
- If you are claiming a pass for the first time: Click Create Account, enter your Virginia Tech email address, set a password, and click Create Account again.
- If you are renewing an expired pass or if you already have a nytimes.com account with your @vt.edu email: You will click "Already have an account? Log in here" link below the Create Account button and enter your account information.
- If you have a current, paid subscription: To switch from a paid account using a @vt.edu email, you must first deactivate your subscription, which will "free up" that email address. To cancel an existing PAID subscription, contact New York Times Customer Care at: email@example.com or 800-698-4637. Once your email address is available, you may follow the steps above, but instead of clicking "Create Account" click the link below ("Already have an account? Log in here") and login with your @vt.edu email address.
Confirmation & Expiration
The New York Times will confirm your account is activated on the next 'Start Your Access' screen and will display your renewal date upon successful account creation or confirmation. You will also have the ability to set a calendar reminder on this page. Simply click on the 'Go to NYTimes.com' button to navigate to the New York Times homepage.
Now that the registration process is complete, you will be able to access The New York Times online, on any device, anywhere in the world, without having to connect through the library's website -- simply access (https://www.nytimes.com/) and its features directly using the email and password that you just registered!
With the academic pass and your activated account, you have access to more than just the daily news edition. For example:
- Full archive back to 1851, with an interactive digital replica of the print NYT through 2002
- Spanish and Chinese editions plus hundreds of articles published in other languages.
- Immersive multimedia features, like 1619 and Privacy Projects
- NYTimes.com/Edu - An interdisciplinary resource designed to help faculty easily incorporate NYTimes.com into the curriculum.
- Customizable NYT App
ILS & Discovery Librarian
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061