Apparl at Virginia Tech has been created to highlight resources most commonly used by those studying the following aspects of apparel: innovation, marketing, product development, merchandising management, textile selection and retailing.
Overview for apparel
Recommended online resources
- Textile Technology Index from EBSCOhostTextile Technology indexes citations, abstracts, and full-text materials from books, conference proceedings, technical reports, trade literature, theses, and dissertations in the chemical, engineering, and environmental fields related to textiles. Full text available as HTML and PDF formats. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1910-present.
- MarketLineMarketLine provides searchable company, industry, and country information. Includes industry profiles (with size, segmentation, and competitive analysis); company profiles of 50,000 public and private companies; country profiles; three databases (base drivers, consumer markets, financial deals); as well as news, comment, and analysis.
- IBISWorldIBISWorld provides 3 types of business reports: Industry Market Research: Reports (PDF) on over 700 US industries arranged by 5-digit NAICS code, typically 25-50 pages in length with executive summaries, updated regularly; Business Environment: Data and analysis (PDF and Word) on 200+ economic and demographic statistics, around 300 key business environment indicators; and Specialized Industry Reports of over 600 titles also arranged by NAICS code that contain the same chapters and format as the Core US Industry Reports, but encompass niche and emerging industries with a focus on technology, healthcare, consumer goods, and other fast-growing sectors.
- Mintel Oxygen AcademicMintel offers over 900 market research reports focused on the broad categories of: Beauty and Personal, Drink, Electronics, European Retail Intelligence, Food and Foodservice, Health and Medical, Health and Wellness, Household, Lifestyles, Retailing and Travel. The reports can be searched for product, brand name or keyword. You can incorporate trends and forecasts, including a five-year forecast, brand share, category trends, and consumer attitudes and behaviors.
- Mergent OnlineProvides company, industry, and country reports for active and inactive, public and some private companies. Reports provided in PDF and can be exported as Word or Excel files. It includes 15 years of financial statements.
- Mergent HorizonMergent Horizon provides reports about companies and industries. Comprehensive coverage is provided for all companies that are actively traded on the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ--over 6,200 in total, with enhanced product-level detail for 3,700 companies in the healthcare, technology, media, and finance sectors.
- Business Source Complete from EBSCOhostBusiness Source Complete is a citation, abstracts, and full-text database that indexes journals; books; financial data; reference works; conference proceedings; company, industry, investment, marketing, and country reports; SWOT analyses; and case studies. Full text is provides as HTML and PDF. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1886-present; most content is 1980s-present.
- FactivaFactiva provides full-text news articles and business/industry information from newswires, newspapers, business and industry magazines, television and radio transcripts, financial reports, and photos from news services. Most content is HTML, though other formats are available for export. News sources 1979-present; financial data 1960s-present.
- ProQuest One BusinessProQuest One Business combines multiple ProQuest business information databases to a total of more than 130 million documents. It contains more than 2,400 journals and magazines, several hundred news sources, thousands of ebooks and videos, and hundreds of thousands of reports from renowned publishiers such as J.P. Morgan, Economist Intelligence Unit, Oxford Economics, Hoovers, and others. ProQuest One Business indexes citations, abstracts, and full text news articles, market and SWOT analyses, industry reports, country reports, downloadable data sets, dissertations, business cases, working papers, annual reports from North American companies, and company profiles and histories.
Ask a Librarian
Interlibrary Loan Services
All current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff, regardless of your location, may request through ILLiad for materials:
- not owned by Virginia Tech (books, articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
- owned by Virginia Tech but are unavailable for use (print books)
- owned by Virginia Tech and available in print (scans of articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
We ship requests via UPS to users outside the immediate Blacksburg area (Montgomery, Giles and Pulaski counties).
Articles, book chapters, and many technical papers are delivered in PDF format to your ILLiad account. Occasionally, due to copyright restrictions, a paper copy of an article or standard is held for your at the Newman User Services Desk or sent o the mailing address listed on your account.