Structural Engineering and Materials: Structural Engineering and Materials Resources
Structural Engineering and Materials at Virginia Tech
The Graduate Structural Engineering and Materials Program at Virginia Tech provides graduate study and research opportunities in a broad range of subject areas in structural engineering and structural materials.
The objective of the program is to provide a quality education that is well-balanced in theoretical and practical considerations. There is a general emphasis on application of computer techniques and on experimental research.
Tools for finding structural engineering and materials articles, papers, and technical reports
- Engineering VillageEngineering Village is the search interface to three engineering databases: Compendex, Inspec, and Knovel. Compendex (1884-present) indexes citations and abstracts from over 5,000 engineering journals, conference papers, books, patents, dissertations, and technical reports. Inspec (1898-present) indexes citations and abstracts from journal articles, conference proceedings, books, and dissertations in engineering and physical sciences. Knovel provides ebooks on engineering and related subjects.
- ASCE Civil Engineering DatabaseThe Civil Engineering Database (CEDB) indexes citations for all ASCE publications. The database covers all the journals, conference proceedings, books, standards, manuals, magazines, and newspapers published by ASCE. Journal papers with abstracts go back to 1970. Non-abstract journal records go back to 1958. The book records are complete dating back to the early 1900s.
- ASCE LibraryThe ASCE Library contains the full text of journals (from 1983), conference papers (from 2000), standards (current and historical), and ebooks.
- ScopusScopus indexes citations of journal articles, conference papers, and books in the sciences, medicine, social sciences, arts, and humanities. You can perform cited reference searches. You can compare authors, institutions, and journals using various metrics. 1800s-present
- Science Citation Index from Clarivate AnalyticsScience Citation Index, a subset of Web of Science, indexes citations, abstracts, and some full text from journal articles, books, and conference proceedings in all science disciplines. You can search cited references. 1900-present.
- SciTech Premium Collection from ProQuestThe SciTech Collections indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journal articles, books, conference papers, trade publications and more. Some full text provided in HTML and PDF.
Tools for obtaining and overview of structural engineering and materials topics
- Knovel LibraryKnovel provides a large collection of ebooks on engineering and related subjects. Each chapter is presented as a separate PDF. The entire collection is full-text searchable, and many results include interactive tables. Includes tables of properties for over 13,000 chemical compounds. Knovel is also searchable through the Engineering Village interface.
- AccessEngineering from McGraw-HillAccessEngineering provides engineering handbooks and textbooks, plus instructional videos.
- ASM Handbooks OnlineASM Handbooks Online features the complete content of all ASM Handbook volumes plus two ASM Desk Editions (the Engineered Materials Handbook and the Metals Handbook). The ASM Handbook Online contains peer-reviewed, trusted information in every area of materials engineering and is the industry's best known and most comprehensive source of information on metals and materials technology.
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Interlibrary Loan Services
All current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff, regardless of your location, may request through ILLiad for materials:
- not owned by Virginia Tech (books, articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
- owned by Virginia Tech but are unavailable for use (print books)
- owned by Virginia Tech and available in print (scans of articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
We ship requests via UPS to users outside the immediate Blacksburg area (Montgomery, Giles and Pulaski counties).
Articles, book chapters, and many technical papers are delivered in PDF format to your ILLiad account. Occasionally, due to copyright restrictions, a paper copy of an article or standard is held for your at the Newman User Services Desk or sent o the mailing address listed on your account.