Women in Architecture and Design: Recommended Resources
The BWAF Bibliography provides citations to surveys, monographs, gender and race in architectural practice, women and architectural schools, gender and planning, women and housing, and feminism architecture. Books that are not owned by Virginia Tech can be requested through interlibrary loan.
Women Architect and Designer Monographs
- Zueler, Lima. Lina Bo Bardi. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2013.
- Betsky, Aaron. Scanning: The Aberrant Architectures of Diller + Sofidao. New York: Whitney Musuem of American Art, 2003.
- Diller, Elizabeth. Blur: The Making of Nothing. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 2002.
- el-Khoury, Rodolphe, ed. Office dA: Works by Monica Ponce de Leon and NAder Tahrani. Gloucester, Mass.: Rockport Publishers, 2000.
- Kelley, Caffyn. Art and survival: Patricia Johanson's Environmental Projects. Salt Spring Island: Islands Institute, 2006.
- Lynn, Catherine and Penabad, Carie. Marion Manley: Miami's First Woman Architect. Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press, 2010
- McCurry, Margaret. Margaret McCurry: Constructing Twenty-Five Short Stories. New York: The Monacelli Press, 2000.
- McQuaid, Matilda. Lilly Reich: Designer and Architect. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1996.
- Mori, Toshiko. Toshiko Mork Architect: Works and Projects. Introduction by K. Michael Hays. New York: Monacelli Press, 2007.
- Perriand, Charlotte. Charlotte Perriand: A Life of Creation. New York: The Monacelli Press, 2003.
- Quacchia, Russell L. Julia Morgan Architect. Q Publishing, 2005.
- Shumacher, Patrik and Gordana Fontana-Giusti, eds. Zaha Hadid: Complete Works. New York: Rizzoli, 2004.
- Williams, Tod. Worklife: Tod Williams, Billie Tsien. Edited by Hadley Arnold. New York: Monacelli Press, 2000.
Gender and Race in Architectural Practice
- Adams, Annmarie, and Peta Tancred. Designing Women: Gender and the Architectural Profession. Toronto: University of Toronto, 2000.
- Anthony, Kathryn H. Designing for Diversity: Gender, Race, and Ethnicity in the Architectural Profession. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2001.
- Durning, Louise, and Richard Wrigley, eds. Gender and Architecture. England: Wiley, 2000.
Gender and Planning
- Fainstin, Susan S. and Lisa J. Servon. Gender and Planning: A Reader. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2005.
- Miranne, Kristine B., and Alma H. Young, eds. Gendering the City: Women, Boundaries, and Visions of Urban Life. Landham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2000.
- Spain, Daphne. How Women Saved the City. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001.
Feminism and Architecture
- Betsky, Aaron. Building Sex: Men, Women, Architecture, adn the Construction of Sexuality. New York: Morrow, 1995.
- Coleman, Debra, Elizabeth Danze, and Carol Henderson, eds. Architecture and Feminism. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 1996.
- Colomina, Beatriz, ed. Sexuality and Space. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 1992.
Pioneering Women of American Architecture - a collection of profiles of fifty women born before 1940 who have made important contributions to American architecture
Dynamic National Archive Collection - searchable database documenting the work of women architects and designers who have contributed to the places and spaces of the United States
Women in Architecture Bibliographic Database - searchable database of the International Archive of Women in Architecture
Wikipedia List of Women Architects - crowdsourced list of women architects organized by region
Below is a list of library databases that can aid in women's studies research. An exhaustive list of library databases can be found here.
- Women Working, 1800-1930Working Women, 1800--1930 provides free digitized manuscripts, personal papers, institutional records, magazines, and photos on aspects of women's history.
- Women's Studies EncyclopediaThe Women's Studies Encyclopedia provides full-text reference articles in HTML about women in all fields of study, primarily in the United States.
- Women's Studies International from EBSCOhostWomen's Studies International indexes abstracts, citations, and full-text articles from academic journals, newspapers, magazines, newsletters, bulletins, books, conference proceedings, working papers, pamphlets, reports, theses, and dissertations in the arts, humanities, business, social sciences, and education. Full-text material is available in HTML and PDF formats. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1972-present.
- Contemporary Women's Issues from GaleContemporary Women's Issues provides full-text journal articles, primary sources, NGO reports, and publications of grass-roots organizations. Coverage is international. 1992-present.
- Women and Social Movements in the United States, 1600-2000 from Alexander Street PressWomen and Social Movements in the US indexes citations and full text of primary documents and archives; book, film, and website reviews; teaching tools; a directory of organizations; and a chronology of women's history. 1745-present.
- GenderWatch from ProQuestGenderWatch indexes citations and full-text articles on gender and women's studies and GLBT research. Publications include scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers, newsletters, regional publications, books, and NGO, government, and special reports. Content is HTML and PDF. 1970-present.
- Gender: Identity and Social Change from Adam Matthew DigitalGender: Identity and Social Change provides primary sources for the study of gender history, women’s suffrage, sexual orientation and expression, the feminist movement, and the men’s movement. Content includes correspondence, newspapers and magazines, business reports, photos and artwork, polls, and organization papers. 1800s-present.