Education: Data & Statistics
Education research at Virginia Tech is encompassed in three departments: Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Learning Sciences and Technology, and Teaching and Learning.
- Census.govCensus.gov is the best place to find United States demographic statistics. One quick way to get started is to go to the site and then go to the Quick Facts link and select your chosen state. This will bring up a list of statistical tables. You can further narrow your information by cities or counties. There are also links to different areas of statistics at the top of the web page. These include population, economy, geographical information, maps and infographics.
- New River Valley Regional CommissionThis site offers information, both demographic and beyond, specifically on the New River Valley. The information is taken from other sources, like census.gov, but this is a great place to find curated information just about the New River Valley.
- Evidence-Based Practices WebGuideThe Evidence-Based Practices (EBP) Web Guide features research findings and details about EBPs used to prevent and treat mental and substance use disorders. EBPs integrate clinical expertise; expert opinion; external scientific evidence; and client, patient, and caregiver perspectives so that providers can offer high-quality services that reflect the interests, values, needs, and choices of the individuals served.
- National Institute on Out-of-School-TimeOur work bridges the worlds of research and practice. We provide evaluations, consultation, and training to create innovative and effective solutions to out-of-school time needs on a local, state, regional and national basis.
- Google Dataset SearchDataset Search indexes datasets from thousands of repositories that have marked up their content to identify datasets. Beta
- The National Center for Education StatisticsThe National Center for Educational Statistics is a federal agency responsible for collecting and analyzing educational data. Data & Tools and FastFacts dropdown menus can be found just under the title bar. The Tables & Figures under the Data & Tools menu brings up a search box. Information on individual public schools, colleges and universities and private school can also be found here.
- Virginia Department of Education StatisticsThis site provides information related to Virginia's schools, including career and technical education, special education, and school nutrition programs.
Health and disease statistics
- The Centers for Disease Control and PreventionBesides being a source of information on many different disease and health issues, The Centers for Disease Control is the primary source of health and safety data. The Data and Statistics link can be found under the More CDC Topics drop down menu near the top of the web page.