Schedule an appointment with me!
Teaching takes me all over campus and I have a hybrid telework schedule. The best way to get in touch is to send an email or sign up for an appointment. To sign up for an appointment during my regularly-scheduled office hours, please click the button below. If none of those times work, please email me at the address above to find another time. Consultations are available either in-person in Newman Library or virtually via Zoom. Just choose your preference before selecting a date and time.
APA 7th Edition Citation Basics
- APA Style Basics, 7th EditionThis library-produced guide covers the basics of in-text citations and common reference list entries.
- Quick Reference Guide, APA StyleThis quick reference guide demonstrates how to cite journal articles, books, and chapters from edited books in the APA 7th edition reference list.
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association byCall Number: BF76.7.P83 2020ISBN: 9781433832161Publication Date: 2019
General Education Research Databases
- Education Research Complete from EBSCOhostEducation Research Complete indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journals, books, book chapters, case studies, essays, interviews, conference proceedings, product reviews, and experiments in all areas of education. You can limit to peer-reviewed journals. 1865-present.
- Educators Reference Complete from GaleEducators Reference Complete Indexes citations and full text of academic journals, reports, and reference works in administration, child development and psychology, funding, health education, technology, and testing.
- ERIC from EBSCOhostERIC indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journal articles, conference and meeting papers, government documents, theses and dissertations, reports, A/V materials, books, and more on all aspects of education. Many documents are available in full text (HTML and PDF). You can limit to peer-reviewed sources for documents published since 2004. 1966-present.
- Teacher Reference Center from EBSCOhostTeacher Reference Center indexes abstracts, citations, and full-text articles from academic journals, magazines, directories, biographies, and case studies on all aspects of education.The full-text materials are available in both HTML and PDF formats. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1984-present.
- Education Index Retrospective: 1929 -1983 from EBSCOEducation Index Retrospective indexes citations and abstracts of journal articles covering all aspects of education.
- PsycARTICLES from EBSCOhostPsycARTICLES indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journals published by the American Psychological Association, the APA Educational Publishing Foundation, the Canadian Psychological Association, and Hogrefe Publishing Group. Full text provided as HTML and PDF. You can limit to age groups, classification codes, methodology, and population group. 1894-present.
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection from EBSCOhostThe Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection database indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journal articles, magazines, and book reviews in the field of psychiatry and psychology, anthropology, emotional and behavioral characteristics. Full-text articles are available in HTML and PDF. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1930-present.
- PsycINFO from EBSCOhostPsycINFO indexes citations, abstracts, cited references, and some full text from articles, books, dissertations, and reviews on all aspects of psychology. Full text provided as HTML and PDF. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources, age group, classification code, methodology, and population group. 1840-present.
Research and Publishing
- Cabell's Scholarly AnalyticsCabell's provides information on the journal article publishing process: acceptance rates, style and formats, types of review processed, time required, and other criteria to find the best fit for your manuscript. Reports provided in HTML and PDF.
- Registry of Efficacy and Effectiveness StudiesThe Registry of Efficacy and Effectiveness Studies (REES) is a database of causal inference studies in education and related fields. REES is designed to increase transparency of and access to information about both ongoing and completed efficacy and effectiveness studies. REES accommodates a range of study designs, including randomized trials, quasi-experimental designs, regression discontinuity designs, and single case designs. The database is searchable and exportable.
- SAGE Research Methods OnlineSAGE Research Methods indexes full-text books, reference sources, the "little green book" series (Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences), the "little blue book" series (Qualitative Research Methods), journal articles, and videos. Since this platform focuses on methodology rather than disciplines, it can be used by researchers from the social sciences, health sciences, and more. Full text available in HTML and PDF. You can limit searches by research method type. 1970s-present.
Interlibrary Loan Services
All current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff, regardless of your location, may request through ILLiad for materials:
- not owned by Virginia Tech (books, articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
- owned by Virginia Tech but are unavailable for use (print books)
- owned by Virginia Tech and available in print (scans of articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
We ship requests via UPS to users outside the immediate Blacksburg area (Montgomery, Giles and Pulaski counties).
Articles, book chapters, and many technical papers are delivered in PDF format to your ILLiad account. Occasionally, due to copyright restrictions, a paper copy of an article or standard is held for your at the Newman User Services Desk or sent o the mailing address listed on your account.
- Academic Video Online from ProQuestUse the subject filter to find videos about counseling.
- Psychotherapy.netPsychotherapy.net provides streaming videos on psychotherapy and counseling.
- PsycTHERAPY from EBSCOhostPsycTHERAPY provides unscripted videos of therapy sessions, with searchable transcripts and the ability to create playlists. Click "Watch video on PsycTHERAPY" to view the content.
- Chronicle of Higher EducationThe Chronicle of Higher Education provides full text HTML articles from the publication back to 1970.
- Education WeekEducation Week provides news, commentary, video, and statistics on current educational issues. Virginia Tech users have full access to content but can sign up for free email newsletters as well.
Tests and Measures
- Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests in Print from EBSCOhostDescriptive information and critical reviews of new and revised tests from the Buros Institute's 1st-20th Yearbooks. Covers commercially-available tests in categories such as personality, developmental, behavioral assessment, neuropsychological, achievement, intelligence and aptitude, educational, and speech & hearing. Contains descriptive info (test purpose, publisher, pricing) and edited reviews written by leading area experts. Does not contain the actual tests, though links may be provided.
- PsycTESTS from EBSCOhostPsycTESTS indexes psychological tests, with the full text of the test available in most cases. Test instruments available in HTML and PDF.
Pedagogy and Practice
- What Works Clearinghouse | Institute of Education Sciences"For more than a decade, the WWC has been a central and trusted source of scientific evidence on education programs, products, practices, and policies. We review the research, determine which studies meet rigorous standards, and summarize the findings. We focus on high-quality research to answer the question 'what works in education?'"
- Higher Education Policy for Minorities in the United StatesThe Collection of Higher Education Policy for Minority students in the U.S contains a variety of resources (reports, data analysis, scholarly papers) from several organizations at the international, national, and local levels, as well as governmental, profit and non-profit organizations. The materials provide a comprehensive and balanced view on higher education policy analysis of access, educational attainment, financing, educational equity, affirmative actions, and socioeconomic and cultural challenges that minority students face.
- PolicyMapPolicyMap provides data through interactive maps about communities and markets across the U.S., for research, market studies, business planning, site selection, grant applications, and impact analysis.
- Funding Institutional from ElsevierFunding Institutional allows researchers to search for grant opportunities and provides historical data about awards and related publications. This data can be used to select opportunities that are the best fit and tailor proposals based on past success. Additionally, users can track award trends, find potential collaborators, and improve their understanding of the competitive landscape. Searches can be narrowed down by location, special interest (limited submission, amount greater than $1M, deadline within three months, multidisciplinary, or foundation or private sponsor) and/or by subject area. It includes information on more than 11,000 funding bodies and more than 24,000 active opportunities. Use your vt.edu email address to register for an account.
- Grants.govGrants.gov simplifies the grants management process and creates a centralized, online process to find and apply for over 900 grant programs from the 26 federal grant-making agencies. Grants.gov streamlines the process of awarding over $360 billion annually to state and local governments, academia, not-for-profits and other organizations. The vision for Grants.gov is to be a simple, unified source to electronically find, apply and manage grant opportunities.