HUM/RLCL5204: Books & Manuscripts in Special Collections and University Archives
About Special Collections and University Archives
New Theatre (the Lyric) and Store Building for the Blacksburg Realty Company
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm & By Appointment
Information for Visitors
Find us online!
Our digital collections
Our LibGuide (Information about us and our collections)
Locating books in Special Collections and University Archives that relate to aspects of (public) humanities, culture, and other topics depends on a few factors and may take multiple searches. We recommend using the library's catalog. If you have having trouble generating search terms, try some of the tools listed in the "Additional Guides & Search Tools" section.
A few tips:
- Limiting your search to Special Collections and University Archives will ONLY include materials housed within the department (books, manuscript collections, and media). You can do this by going to "Advanced Seach," selecting "Item Type," and checking the boxes for "SPEC material rstor" and "Spec in-house." This will find materials that are part of Special Collections housed in our off-site facility and in the department, respectively.
- A general search will find materials in Special Collections, in Newman Library, the Art & Architecture Library, and the Library Service Centers (off-site materials which can be requested). It will NOT include E-books and databases (use the main search box on the library's webpage that includes the discovery system).
- Catalog records, by nature, contain a mix of subjective and object elements. Subject headings are authoritative and control, but are applied to a record by an individual who may interpret an item in a specific way. Don't be afraid to explore different words or headings.
If you are having trouble searching, we encourage you to contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-6308) or come by when we're open (M-F 8am-5pm) and our staff will be happy to lend a hand!
Special Collections and University Archives is home to more than 1,900 manuscript collections, many of which deal with aspects of Appalachian culture. Finding aids (collection guides) for processed manuscript collections are available through Virginia Heritage, a state-wide database. The general search page is here: http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaxtf/search. You can limit your search to "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University." Searching all collections will do a full-text search of all guides.
We have specifically identified more than 570 of our guides which relate to local/regional/Appalachian history, which you can browse online. You can also limit these results using facets or search within this results list for a specific word, words, or phrase.
We also have unprocessed collections and collections with limited descriptions. If you are having trouble locating relevant materials we encourage you to contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 231-6308) or come by when we're open (M-F 8am-5pm) and our staff will be happy to lend a hand!
- ImagebaseOur previous system for digitized images, maps, and documents, Imagebase contains thousands of items.
- Regional History and the Appalachian SouthSpecial Collections and University Archives' platform for digital photographs, documents, and oral histories. The search box in the upper right corner of each page will search all the materials in Special Collections Online, regardless of subject area.
- Special Collections and University Archives OnlineSpecial Collections and University Archives currently has a site to share our digital resources and digital exhibits. This is a locally hosted site that makes use of multiple basic and complex plugins and custom code.