Art & Architecture Library: Databases
Select list of the top databases for the College of Architecture and Urban Studies. For a full list of architecture, art, and design databases click here.
- Art & Architecture Complete from EBSCOhostArt & Architecture Complete indexes citations, abstracts, and some full text from journals, magazines, trade publications, and books covering all aspects of art and architecture. It also includes a large image collection. 1901-present.
- Art Index Retrospective from EBSCOhostArt Index Retrospective is an index of over a half-century of historic scholarly literature covering fine, decorative and commercial art. It is the electronic version of the print annual publication Art Index from its first volume, 1929, through 1984. It consists of citations of over 25,000 book reviews and high-quality indexing of nearly 600 publications, many of which are peer-reviewed for the fields of art history, architectural history, and the visual arts.
- ArtstorArtstor provides high quality images of visual media like paintings, photographs, architecture, sculpture, decorative arts, and other forms of visual culture. It provides tools to create, manage, and present collections of images. Prehistoric times-present.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals from EBSCOhostAvery Index to Architectural Periodicals indexes citations, abstracts, and full-text articles in architecture and design from American and international scholarly and trade journals, popular magazines, and publications of professional organizations. In addition, this database also provides citation records for architects' obituaries. Full text, when available, is in PDF and HTML. 1800s-present.
- DAAI: Design and Applied Arts Index from ProQuestDAAI indexes citations and abstracts from journal articles, news reports, and reviews on design and applied arts (including performing arts-related design). You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1973-present.
- DETAIL InspirationDETAIL provides reports on construction solutions, including photos and architectural plans.
- Gnomon WorkshopGnomon Workshop provides training videos in art and design. Register with your vt.edu email address to create an account.
- Kanopy Streaming VideosNOTE: As of Spring 2021 Kanopy made changes to links and access, so proxied links to streaming videos on the platform will no longer work. Please update any links to Kanopy videos in Canvas, syllabi, etc, with the new URLs.
The new base URL is https://vt.kanopy.com with specific videos using the following format: https://vt.kanopy.com/video/seadrift
Kanopy provides hundreds of streaming videos in a wide variety of subjects. For videos outside our collection, you'll be presented a form to request they be added.
- Material ConneXionMaterial ConneXion provides full-text data on materials used in architecture, interior and industrial design, fashion and apparel, and landscaping. Materials include polymers, ceramics, glass, metals, cements, and natural materials. Processing and sustainability information, physical and usage properties, and manufacturers are listed.
- OnArchitectureOnArchitecture provides videos on architectural subjects: interviews, buildings, and installations.