- Find databases
Resource is restricted to current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff.
Resource is licensed for Virginia Tech alumni access. Use Alumni Library Portal sign in to access.
Freely accessible database, available to anyone without restriction.
Sponsored by VIVA, the Virtual Library of Virginia.
Resource provides open access publishing opportunities and open access publications.
Resource provides self archiving opportunities and open access documents.
Find a database
This search box finds library databases by their titles and descriptions. It does not search for articles within databases. Keyword searches won't work here. (If you don't know which database to use, try one of the links listed below.)
General interest databases cover a wide range of topics from many kinds of sources. They are a great starting point for many research assignments since you are likely to get at least a few search results on your topic. Major general interest databases are listed below; many more are available on the general interest databases listings.
- Academic OneFile from GaleAcademic OneFile indexes citations, abstracts, and some full text in the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature, and other subjects. Full text provided in PDF and HTML, plus audio version in MP3. You can limit to peer-reviewed publications. 1980-present.
- Academic Search Complete from EBSCOhostAcademic Search Complete indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journal articles, books, reports, and conference proceedings in all subject disciplines. Full text provided in PDF and HTML. Searchable cited references are provided for nearly 1,000 journals. Searches can be limited to peer reviewed sources. Indexing 1887-present, most full-text content 1980s-present.
- CQ ResearcherCQ Researcher publishes single-themed, 12,000-word reports researched and written by a seasoned journalist and noted for in-depth, unbiased coverage of health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology, and the economy. Reports provides an overview; background and chronology; assessment of the current situation; tables and maps; pro/con statements from opposing positions; and bibliographies. Pre-1996 are HTML; newer are PDFs. 1991-present.
- FactivaFactiva provides full-text news articles and business/industry information from newswires, newspapers, business and industry magazines, television and radio transcripts, financial reports, and photos from news services. Most content is HTML, though other formats are available for export. News sources 1979-present; financial data 1960s-present.Factiva provides full-text news articles and business information. From the Search tab, use the Free Text search box to explore an archive of over 50 years of news and other sources.
From the News Pages tab, you can browse current issues of major newspapers and business magazines from around the world.
From the Companies/Markets tab, you can research competitors, suppliers, customers, and partners through market data, interactive charts, financial statements, and more for individual companies or industries. Data includes current and historical pricing on a variety of financial instruments like stocks, funds, currencies, and market indexes.
- Opposing Viewpoints In Context from GaleOpposing Viewpoints offers over 14,000 pro/con viewpoint essays on controversial topics and current events, plus thousands of topic overviews, primary source documents, biographies of social activists, court case overviews, related full-text periodical articles, statistical tables, and multimedia content.Opposing Viewpoints in Context is the premier online resource covering today’s hottest social issues, from offshore drilling to climate change, health care to immigration. Opposing Viewpoints in Context helps students research, analyze and organize a broad variety of data for conducting research, completing writing assignments, preparing for debates, creating presentations and more.
- Gale in Context: CollegeIn Context: College provides curated topic pages that combine academic journal articles, primary sources, reference works, essays, news sources, multimedia, and biographies on people, events, places, and time periods.
- Web of Science from Clarivate AnalyticsThe three Web of Science databases index citations from journal articles and conference proceedings in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities. You can perform cited reference searches, analyze trends and patterns, and create visual representations of citation relationships. 1900-present
- Last Updated: Jan 12, 2023 3:59 PM
- URL: https://guides.lib.vt.edu/find/databases
- Print Page