Open Access: OA at VT
OA Events at VT
Open Access Week is an internationally observed event in late October that Virginia Tech has marked since 2012 with a keynote address, panels, and workshops.
Workshops through PDN on open access-related topics occur year-round.
Open Projects We Support
In addition to our Open Access Fund, the University Libraries provide direct financial support for open access content and infrastructure.
Stay Informed About OA at VT
- Open@VT BlogOur blog covers open access, open data, and open educational resources at Virginia Tech and beyond. Check it out for event announcements and recaps, book reviews, commentaries, and more.
- OpenVT Email ListJoin our low-volume email list/Google group for announcements and discussion of open access, open data, and open educational resources.
- @openatvtFollow us on Twitter for event announcements and links to new and interesting open-related resources.
- Opening Knowledge: Resources for Open Research and Teaching at Virginia Tech and BeyondA regularly updated booklet that is distributed in print in the Libraries and around campus, covering all open-related services from VT Libraries.
Open Access Services at Virginia Tech
- Open Access PolicyVirginia Tech's open access policy was passed by the Board of Visitors on March 22, 2021, and covers faculty, staff, and students.
- Open Access FundThe fund helps authors pay Article Processing Charges (APCs) that some open access journals charge
- VTechWorksVTechWorks is Virginia Tech's institutional repository for access and preservation of journal articles and other scholarship
- Virginia Tech PublishingVirginia Tech Publishing helps faculty and students publish journals, conference proceedings, and books, all open access.
- Discounts for OA PublishingOur memberships with some publishers reduce the amount of article processing charges (APCs)
- Copyright GuidanceWe also consult on publication agreements and other aspects of copyright. See also the copyright tab on this page.
Virginia Tech Policies
Virginia Tech now has an open access policy which is now part of Policy 13000 (PDF). The policy was approved by the Board of Visitors on March 22, 2021. All Virginia Tech authors (faculty, staff, and students) may deposit manuscripts accepted after March 22, 2021. Questions about the policy can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, and questions about the deposit process can be sent to email@example.com.
The Graduate School policy on electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs) requires open access (with an embargo option). In 1997, Virginia Tech became the first university in the world to require ETDs.
See Virginia Tech's Policy on Intellectual Property (Policy 13000) and Ownership and Control of Research Results (Policy 13015).
Institutional Repository Manager
All original content on this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. 3rd-party content including, but not limited to images and linked items, are subject to their own license terms.