Biochemistry: Research Resources
Biochemistry at Virginia Tech is the study of the molecular mechanisms by which life processes take place.
Recommended online resources
- Web of Science from Clarivate AnalyticsThe three Web of Science databases index citations from journal articles and conference proceedings in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities. You can perform cited reference searches, analyze trends and patterns, and create visual representations of citation relationships. 1900-present
- PubMed from NLMIndexes citations, abstracts and full text from journal articles, case studies, conference papers, clinical trial reports, news reports, and reviews in the fields of medicine,nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and pre-clinical sciences. Full text available in HTML and PDF. You can limit to types of clinical queries, age, gender and species of subject, and review articles that summaries research on a topic. 1946-present.
- CAB Abstracts from CAB DirectCAB Abstracts indexes citations and abstracts from journals, books, reports, handbooks, conference proceedings, field notes, and theses in agriculture, life sciences, natural resources, veterinary sciences, applied economics, nutrition, tourism, and the environment. Includes the CAB Abstracts Archive. Some full text available as PDFs. 1910s-present.
- Biosis Citation Index from Clarivate AnayticsBiosis indexes journal articles, conference papers, books and book chapters, and patents on all areas of life sciences including molecular and cell biography, pharmacology, endocrinology, genetics, neurosciences, and ecology. You can perform cited reference searches. 1926-present.
- SciFinder WebSciFinder Web indexes citations and abstracts from Chemical Abstract Services databases and MEDLINE including journal articles, patents, books, conference papers, dissertations, and reports. You can search text-based fields or draw chemical structures. You can perform cited reference searches. 1907-present. Registration is required. Contact Edward Lener, firstname.lastname@example.org, for details.
Tutorials, Videos, Protocols
- JoVE Science EducationJoVE Scientific Education is a video library dedicated to teaching laboratory fundamentals through simple, easy to understand visual demonstrations. We currently subscribe to JoVE Unlimited.
- New England Journal of Medicine MultimediaThe NEJM provides instructional videos and interactive, multimedia teaching tools.
- JoVE UnlimitedThis package is JoVE’s complete video library. It includes all research journals−Behavior, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biology, Chemistry, Developmental Biology, Engineering, Genetics, Immunology & Infection, Medicine and Neuroscience−and all sections of Encyclopedia of Experiments (Biology and Cancer Research). JoVE Education collections, such as JoVE Core, Lab Manuals, and all Science Education subjects−Biology, Chemistry, Clinical Skills, Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Physics and Psychology−is also included.
- Springer Nature ExperimentsSpringer Nature Experiments is a set of peer-reviewed, reproducible procedures or protocols for scientific experiments in the life sciences with step-by-step instructions in HTML and PDF and some streaming videos. 1980s-present.
- Wiley Current ProtocolsWiley provides full-text books on research methods and topical overviews in the life sciences in HTML and PDF. Complex procedures are clarified with illustrations, tables, data charts, diagrams, and videos.
Ask a Librarian
Interlibrary Loan Services
All current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff, regardless of your location, may request through ILLiad for materials:
- not owned by Virginia Tech (books, articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
- owned by Virginia Tech but are unavailable for use (print books)
- owned by Virginia Tech and available in print (scans of articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
We ship requests via UPS to users outside the immediate Blacksburg area (Montgomery, Giles and Pulaski counties).
Articles, book chapters, and many technical papers are delivered in PDF format to your ILLiad account. Occasionally, due to copyright restrictions, a paper copy of an article or standard is held for your at the Newman User Services Desk or sent o the mailing address listed on your account.