Crop and soil environmental sciences: Recommended
A guide to suggested resources for crop and soil environmental sciences
Overview for crop and soil environmental sciences
- Plant Management NetworkPlant Management Network indexes the full text of thousands of fact sheets, newsletters, product listings, conference papers, and training resources on applied plant science and other agricultural disciplines, plus articles from several plant science journals. Full text provides as PDFs. Also includes an image database of field crops, vegetables, fruits, trees, tropical plants, and turf grass. 2000-present
- Crop Protection CompendiumUp-to-date information on 10,000 pests, diseases, weeds and natural enemy species worldwide. Over 2,360 complete datasheets, provided by over 1,100 specialists. Data for over 200 different crops and over 150 countries, with global and regional distribution maps. Over 8000 images allowing for easy identification of crop pests. Background information on 10,000 pests, diseases, weeds and natural enemy species providing a complete archive. Some documents are available in full text as HTML and PDF.
Recommended online resources
- AGRICOLA from ProQuestAGRICOLA indexes citations for journal articles, books, proceedings, theses, patents, translations, audiovisual materials, computer software, and technical reports pertaining to all aspects of agriculture, life sciences, nutrition, and environmental science. This database provides selective worldwide coverage of primary information sources in agriculture and related fields. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1970-present.
- CAB Abstracts from CAB DirectCAB Abstracts indexes citations and abstracts from journals, books, reports, handbooks, conference proceedings, field notes, and theses in agriculture, life sciences, natural resources, veterinary sciences, applied economics, nutrition, tourism, and the environment. Includes the CAB Abstracts Archive. Some full text available as PDFs. 1910s-present.
Early literature databases
- Core Historical Literature of AgricultureThe Core Historical Literature of Agriculture is a core electronic collection of scanned agricultural texts. Full-text materials cover agricultural economics, agricultural engineering, animal science, crops and their protection, food science, forestry, human nutrition, rural sociology, and soil science. 1620-1999.
Libraries are for Everyone
Life Science, Agriculture, and Scholarly Communication Librarian
204 Newman Library
Ask a Librarian
Interlibrary Loan Services
All current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff, regardless of your location, may request through ILLiad for materials:
- not owned by Virginia Tech (books, articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
- owned by Virginia Tech but are unavailable for use (print books)
- owned by Virginia Tech and available in print (scans of articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
We ship requests via UPS to users outside the immediate Blacksburg area (Montgomery, Giles and Pulaski counties).
Articles, book chapters, and many technical papers are delivered in PDF format to your ILLiad account. Occasionally, due to copyright restrictions, a paper copy of an article or standard is held for your at the Newman User Services Desk or sent o the mailing address listed on your account.