Medicine: Get Started
Welcome to this library guide with research resources for TBMH, VTCSOM (Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine) students, faculty, and others interested in medical research information sources!
A few tips to get you started:
1. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance. Simply contact your librarian/s directly!
2. Use our Discovery Search to conduct a Google-like search of most of our library resources.
3. When searching Discovery, Google Scholar, or any of the databases that we recommend, break your research question into keyword, rather than typing in the entire sentence or question. Click here to read more about strategies for creating good keyword searches.
4. If you're doing research from off campus, make sure you sign in to the Central Authentication System (CAS) to have access to our print and online resources. Also, check out these other cool resources for our users off-campus.
5. When trying to access articles and other resources, look for the Get VText link or icon.
6. Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) Service - a free service to get journal articles, book chapters (even if we own a copy), books, and more that VT does not own or subscribe to, don't pay to access research sources you need - use Illiad to request materials for free.