Sociology at Virginia Tech
Sociology at Virginia Tech investigates rules of group behavior, how they are created, and how they affect our behavior.
The Department of Sociology at Virginia Tech is home to programs in Africana studies, American Indian studies, and women's and gender studies.
Recommended online resources
- Family & Society Studies Worldwide from EBSCOhostFamily & Society Studies Worldwide indexes citations, abstracts, and full-text articles (PDFs) from journals, conference papers, books, book chapters, government reports, discussion and working papers, statistical documents, theses and dissertations, and other sources in the social sciences and education. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1900s-present.
- AgeLine from EBSCOhostAgeLine focuses exclusively on the population aged 50+ and issues of aging. It covers the literature of social gerontology and includes aging-related content from the health sciences, psychology, sociology, social work, economics, and public policy. This database indexes journals, books, book chapters, reports, dissertations, consumer guides, and educational videos. Some full text available as PDF and HTML. Publication coverage is from 1978-present, with selected coverage from 1966-1977.
- Abstracts in Social Gerontology from EBSCOhostAbstracts in Social Gerontology indexes citations and abstracts of journal articles and book chapters. 1990-present.
- SocINDEX with Full Text from EBSCOhostSocINDEX indexes abstracts and full text of journal articles, books, conference papers, case studies, and surveys on all aspects of sociology. Author profiles are provided. You can do cited reference searches and limit to scholarly sources. 1895-present.
- Race Relations Abstracts from EBSCOhostRace Relations Abstracts indexes citations of abstracts of journal articles on the social science aspects of race. 1975-present
- NCJRS National Criminal Justice Reference Service Abstracts from EBSCOhostThe NCJRS: National Criminal Justice Reference Service Abstracts Database indexes abstracts and full-text of journal articles, conference papers, books, and federal, state and local government reports in the field of criminology and criminal justice. The full-text materials are available in both HTML and PDF. 1970-present.
- Family Studies Abstracts from EBSCOhostFamily Studies Abstracts indexes citations and abstracts of journal articles and book reviews on the social science aspects of families. 1930-present
- Violence and Abuse Abstracts from EBSCOhostViolence and Abuse Abstracts indexes citations and abstracts of journal articles on the social science and health aspects of violence and abuse. You can do cited reference searches and limit to scholarly sources. 1995-present.
Sociology Liaison Librarian
Ask a Librarian
Interlibrary Loan Services
All current Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff, regardless of your location, may request through ILLiad for materials:
- not owned by Virginia Tech (books, articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
- owned by Virginia Tech but are unavailable for use (print books)
- owned by Virginia Tech and available in print (scans of articles from journals and conference proceedings, book chapters, standards, and technical papers)
We ship requests via UPS to users outside the immediate Blacksburg area (Montgomery, Giles and Pulaski counties).
Articles, book chapters, and many technical papers are delivered in PDF format to your ILLiad account. Occasionally, due to copyright restrictions, a paper copy of an article or standard is held for your at the Newman User Services Desk or sent o the mailing address listed on your account.