HNFE 2014 Research Resources: Selecting a Database
Virginia Tech's University Libraries gives you access to nearly 750 databases. How do you know where to start?
Check out the HNFE Subject Guide. It will point you to the best databases for Human Nutrition, Food, & Exercise research at VT. For introductory research, I recommend VT's Discovery Search and a few disciplinary databases: PubMed, CINAHL, or Web of Science. If your question is agriculture-related, I would also suggest CAB Direct. Still not sure about which database(s) are best for your research? Try browsing a few subject guides, or look through the full research database list
Need help searching any of these databases? Click here for Discovery Search Help | PubMed Help | Web of Science Help
Databases Of Interest
- MedlinePlusMedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's Web site for patients and their families and friends. Produced by the National Library of Medicine, the world’s largest medical library, it brings you information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in language you can understand. MedlinePlus offers reliable, up-to-date health information, anytime, anywhere, for free.
- PubMed from NLM(1950- Present) PubMed is a service of the National Library of Medicine that includes more than 19 million citations. PubMed is available to the public and includes some links to full-text articles.
- CINAHL: Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health with Full Text from EBSCOhostCINAHL indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journals in nursing and allied health. It offers access to health care books, nursing dissertations, conference proceedings, standards of practice, educational software, audiovisuals, and book chapters. Searchable cited references for some journals are included. Full-text material (in PDF and HTML) includes journals, legal cases, clinical innovations, critical paths, drug records, research instruments, and clinical trials. 1981-present.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition from EBSCOhostHealth Source: Nursing/Academic Edition indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from academic journals. In addition, this database includes Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names. Full text is available as PDF. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources. 1952-present.
- PsycINFO from EBSCOhostPsycINFO indexes citations, abstracts, cited references, and some full text from articles, books, dissertations, and reviews on all aspects of psychology. Full text provided as HTML and PDF. You can limit to peer-reviewed sources, age group, classification code, methodology, and population group. 1840-present.
- Google ScholarGoogle's search engine for scholarly research: the ease of Google searching combined with the quality resources you find in library databases. It indexes citations, abstracts, and full-text articles, books, conference proceedings, theses, online repositories, patents, legal cases, and more. Google Scholar is particularly good when starting research and canvassing the literature or as a final search on a topic.