Consumer health: Recommended Resources
This guide contains databases written at the consumer level. These resources are great for lower-level research in the health and medicine fields.
Ask a Librarian
What is "Consumer Health?"
Wikipedia defines consumer health as bridging the gap between patients and health resources. In short, consumer health focuses on providing information that is accessible and consumable for the average health consumer. It focuses on health literacy and consumer education, and most of the resources that you will find here will be written with a lay audience in mind.
- Medline PlusGeneral health education, consumer health, and patient education resources. "Learn by watching health videos on topics such as human anatomy, surgical procedures, and health news. Test your knowledge with interactive tutorials and games. Check your health by using the calculators and quizzes." To re-use these materials, see the Copyright Information. Includes Interactive tutorials, Anatomy videos, Surgery videos, and more. From the National Library of Medicine.
- Consumer Health Complete from EBSCOhostConsumer Health Complete indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from many different source types: evidence-based reports, reference works including medical dictionaries and encyclopedias, fact sheets and pamphlets, news articles, drug information, and multimedia files. You can search by disease, condition, injury, or procedure.
Recommended online resources
- PubMed from NLMIndexes citations, abstracts and full text from journal articles, case studies, conference papers, clinical trial reports, news reports, and reviews in the fields of medicine,nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and pre-clinical sciences. Full text available in HTML and PDF. You can limit to types of clinical queries, age, gender and species of subject, and review articles that summaries research on a topic. 1946-present.
- CINAHL: Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health with Full Text from EBSCOhostCINAHL indexes citations, abstracts, and full text from journals in nursing and allied health. It offers access to health care books, nursing dissertations, conference proceedings, standards of practice, educational software, audiovisuals, and book chapters. Searchable cited references for some journals are included. Full-text material (in PDF and HTML) includes journals, legal cases, clinical innovations, critical paths, drug records, research instruments, and clinical trials. 1981-present.
- AgeLine from EBSCOhostAgeLine focuses exclusively on the population aged 50+ and issues of aging. It covers the literature of social gerontology and includes aging-related content from the health sciences, psychology, sociology, social work, economics, and public policy. This database indexes journals, books, book chapters, reports, dissertations, consumer guides, and educational videos. Some full text available as PDF and HTML. Publication coverage is from 1978-present, with selected coverage from 1966-1977.
- ICPSR: InterUniversity Consortium for Political and Social ResearchThe Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is a membership-based organization providing access to the world's largest archive of computer-based research and instructional data for the social sciences. The archive of data sets includes a broad range of disciplines, including political science, sociology, demography, economics, history, education, gerontology, criminal justice, public health, foreign policy, and law.