Population health sciences: Data, Tests & Measures
This Page Includes Sources for:
Overview Sources - Get to know a topic
Looking for full text?
Remember to look for the Get VText icon:
If that doesn't work, don't hesitate to contact your librarian for help accessing the full text of an article.
Public Health Data
Try out the sources below to find public health data. If you don't find what you're looking for, contact Ginny for further suggestions.
- Health Data Tools and StatisticsFrom Partners in Information Access for the Public Health Workforce, a collaboration of U.S. government agencies, public health organizations and health sciences libraries. Links to sources for: Health Data News, County and Local Health Data, State Health Data, Individual State Data, National Health Data, Global Health Data, Statistical Reports, Demographic Data, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Training and Education, Health Information Technology and Standards, and Tools for Data Collection and Planning
- ICPSR: InterUniversity Consortium for Political and Social ResearchThe Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is a membership-based organization providing access to the world's largest archive of computer-based research and instructional data for the social sciences. The archive of data sets includes a broad range of disciplines, including political science, sociology, demography, economics, history, education, gerontology, criminal justice, public health, foreign policy, and law.
- Data.govThe home of the U.S. Government’s open data. Here you will find data, tools, and resources to conduct research, develop web and mobile applications, design data visualizations, and more.
- re3data.orgRegistry of Research Data Repositories - Search or browse for a repository in your subject of interest. For example, browse by subject to view repositories for data related to "Public Health, Health Services, Social Medicine."
Tests & Measures
Tests & Measures are frequently used in health-related research. The resources here will help you find tests and measures that you may consider using in your own research. Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests in Print primarily indexes published, commercially available tests with information on how to acquire them. PsycTests primarily covers unpublished tests (often including the full text of the test itself). Both offer varying information regarding validity and reliability of tests referenced. Research Databases, such as PubMed, CINAHL, and PsycInfo (above in Research Databases) are also great places to look for test information in scholarly works that used them, though the full test is often not available there.
APA: Finding Information About Psychological Tests
*Contact your liaison librarian, for assistance in searching for tests (contact info at the top right side of this page - or at the end if on a mobile device).
- Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests in Print from EBSCOhostDescriptive information and critical reviews of new and revised tests from the Buros Institute's 1st-20th Yearbooks. Covers commercially-available tests in categories such as personality, developmental, behavioral assessment, neuropsychological, achievement, intelligence and aptitude, educational, and speech & hearing. Contains descriptive info (test purpose, publisher, pricing) and edited reviews written by leading area experts. Does not contain the actual tests, though links may be provided.
- PsycTESTS from EBSCOhostPsycTESTS indexes psychological tests, with the full text of the test available in most cases. Test instruments available in HTML and PDF.
Ask a Librarian
Head, Veterinary Medicine Library and Liaison to Animal Scieces
245 Duck Pond Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061