Open Education: Find OER (by discipline)
Apparel, Housing & Resource Management
Architecture, Interior Design & Landscape
Early Childhood Education Education (also)
Foreign Languages and Literatures
Health & Medicine
Human Nutrition, Food & Exercise
Information / Digital Literacy & Research Skills
Natural Resources and Environment
Plant & Environmental Sciences
Public and International Affairs
Religion and Culture
On these pages you will find textbook and non-textbook open educational resources.
Discipline-specific pages are not intended to be exhaustive, but to showcase content that may be of interest to faculty considering adopting open educational resources for use in their classes.
For more information about Creative Commons including license descriptions, please see the Creative Commons tab.
TWO Strategies for identifying open course material
1) Look for it yourself
2) Ask for help. If you are spending more than 15 minutes looking for something (and are a member of the Virginia Tech community) please email: email@example.com to request assistance. We can save you precious time and effort.
The top two METASEARCH tools for open educational resources are:
- 1) OER MetafinderFrom George Mason University. About the MetaFinder https://publishing.gmu.edu/whos-using-the-mason-oer-metafinder
- 2) OASIS (Openly Available Sources Integrated Search)Indexes 50+ different sources. From SUNY Geneseo. About: https://oasis.geneseo.edu/about.php
Additional resources include:
- Pressbooks DirectoryThis Pressbooks Directory provides an index of nearly 3,000 books published across 100+ Pressbooks networks.
- Open Textbook Library950+ downloadable, openly licensed textbooks
- Mapping 2-year transfer course content (Virginia)The goal of the VIVA Course Mapping Project is to support the discovery of Open Educational Resources (OER) aligned to Virginia courses. Recognizing that competing demands and time constraints present barriers to OER adoption for many instructors, the Course Mapping Project works to consolidate and align OER for high enrollment courses at Virginia higher education institutions. https://vivalib.org/va/open/course-mapping-project
- Subject Index of CCCOER ListservA subject index of open educational resources of various formats. Created by Dr Larry Green, Lake Tahoe Community College. For an introduction to this tool, see the blogpost: https://www.cccoer.org/2017/07/28/index-of-oer-shared-via-cccoer-community-email-group/
- TeachOERA subject and source browsable collection of OER content across the web. Development of the site was funded by a grant provided by Baruch College.
- Open Textbooks CollectionsA collection of hundreds if not thousands of openly licensed textbooks in various formats.
- Librarian Tool BoxFor those who "love the hunt" for information.
- Free (not necessarily openly licensed) Online CoursewareLectures, syllabi, assessment tools for nearly any discipline under the sun! Link is courtesy of Affordable Learning Systems, California.
- Workforce Training Materials (via SkillsCommons)Skillscommons is a free and open digital library of Workforce Training Materials.
- DPLA - Digital Public Library of AmericaContains links to a wide range of multimedia objects form libraries, archives and museums around the United States. See copyright/license information in the "rights" field for each item.
- MERLOTThe MERLOT system provides access to curated online learning and support materials and content creation tools, led by an international community of educators, learners and researchers.
- 2017 Open Textbook List (by discipline)Claybaugh, Z. & Stone, C. (2017). Open Educational Resource 2017 Textbook List. Fairfield, CT: Sacred Heart University.
- Open Course LibraryFrom Washington State
- Teaching CommonsTeaching Commons includes open-access textbooks, course materials, lesson plans, multimedia, lectures, k-12 materials, and more.