VTechWorks: Courses and Student Works
Online Access to Student Coursework
Under FERPA, coursework is considered student data that is controlled by them. In addition, Virginia Tech's Policy 13000 (PDF), states that students retain copyright in their work. If faculty would like student works for their course to be presented online in VTechWorks, faculty should make this request clear in the course syllabus or project assignment, and provide the instructions for students below. Please note that VTechWorks does not allow abstract-only deposits, or those that merely link to items elsewhere.
- Email email@example.com with the following information:
- Provide the course number and name (a collection will be created under Student Works)
- Confirm that you have informed students that you are requesting that their work to be uploaded to VTechWorks, and that you have informed students that they can opt out, or use an alias instead of their name on the work.
- Let us know whether you want to approve each submission before it goes online or not. The collection Approver receives an automated email whenever an item is submitted to that collection queue.
- Please provide students with the uploading instructions below:
- Register with your VT email address
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to submit to the course collection (e.g., CS5604: Information Retrieval). Copy the relevant faculty member(s) on the email so they are aware that the work will be available online.
- Log in and go to Submissions, then "Start a new submission."
- Describe the work and upload a PDF file (preferred; other formats accepted).
- Once approved, the work will be posted online, and you will receive an email with the permanent link.
- Be aware that you can opt out of a professor's request that you make your work available online, and that you can use initials or an alias instead of your name on the work.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.