Newspapers and current news sources
If you require a newspaper article, and we have no access to it (online, in print, or in microforms), you can request the article through interlibrary loan. To make that request, you will need a complete citation, including date and page number(s). Most local papers have no index (online or in print), making finding a citation difficult.
The most comprehensive source of Virginia newspapers is Access World News, which currently lists almost 200 publications with both current and historical access.
Try searching a news database or the newspaper's online archive for the citation. (Some newspaper allow searching their archive even when accessing the full-text article requires payment. Simply use the citation from your search results to fill in your ILL request.)
Virginia newspapers online
- (Arlington) The Arlington Journal (The Arlington Journal has ceased publication. It has been incorporated by the Washington Examiner
- (Ashland/Hanover County) HanoverOnline (Source of information for Hanover County from the Herald-Progress)
- (Bristol) Bristol Herald-Courier
- (Charlottesville) The Daily Progress
- (Clarke, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, and Rappahannock Counties) Times Community
- (Culpeper) Culpeper News and Culpeper Star-Exponent
- (Danville) Danville Register & Bee
- (Fairfax) Fairfax Journal has ceased publication and has been incorporated by the Washington Examiner.
- (Fauquier) Fauquier Citizen was purchased by the Fauquier Times-Democrat in 2006. After the acquisition, it ceased publication.
- (Fredericksburg) The Free-Lance-Star
- (Hampton Roads) Daily Press and Pilot Online
- (Harrisonburg) Daily News-Record http://www.dnronline.com
- (Leesburg) Loudoun Times-Mirror As of June 17, 2010, The Times-Mirror and The Independent merged. The Times-Mirror publishes on Wednesdays and The Independent publishes on Fridays.
- (Lexington) News–Gazette
- (Loudoun) Loudoun Easterner ceased publication July 23, 2009.
- (Luray) Page News and Courier
- (Lynchburg) The News & Advance
- (Madison) Madison County Eagle
- (Manassas) Journal Messenger
- (Manassas/Prince William County) Daily Journal Prince William Section
- (Martinsville/Henry County) Martinsville Bulletin
- (Norfolk) Pilot Online (current) and The Virginian-Pilot (archive) (available online from September 1, 1997 via Newspaper Source Plus from EBSCOhost )
- (Norton) Coalfield Progress
- (Orange) Orange County Review
- (Richlands) Richlands News-Press
- (Richmond) Times Dispatch
- (Roanoke) Roanoke Times (current edition) and The Roanoke Times (from the Virginia Tech Scholary Communications Project searchable archive January 1992 to February 1997)
- (Standardsville) Green County Record
- (Staunton) Daily News Leader
- (Warrenton) Fauquier Times-Democrat
- (Waynesboro) News Virginian
- (Wise County) My Wise County
- (William, Manassas, & Manassas Park) In October 2008, The Potomac News & the Manassas Journal Messenger merged into the News & Messenger
- Last Updated: Aug 18, 2023 12:05 PM
- URL: https://guides.lib.vt.edu/find/news
- Print Page