Local History and Genealogical Research in the University Libraries: G. Black Resources
This guide includes resources available in Special Collections, Newman Library, and online that can aid in local genealogy research.
About Special Collections and University Archives
New Theatre (the Lyric) and Store Building for the Blacksburg Realty Company
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm & By Appointment
Information for Visitors
Find us online!
Our digital collections
Our LibGuide (Information about us and our collections)
- Dickenson, Entitled, Free Papers in Appalachia Call No.: F232 M7 D5 1981 Special Collections and Newman 3rd floor
- Heinegg, Free African Americans of North Carolina and Virginia: Including the Family Histories… Call No.: E185.96 H45 1994 Newman 3rd floor
- Jacobs, Index to the American Slave Call No.: E444 .A45 Suppl. 3 Newman 3rd floor
- Lawson, Generations Past Call No.: E185.96 L39 1988 Newman 3rd floor
- Plunkett, Afro-American Sources in Virginia: A Guide to Manuscripts Call No.: E185.93 V8 P58 1990 Special Collections and Newman 3rd floor
- Virginia 1860 Slave Schedule Call No.: F225 V575 1990 Spe
- Virginia Landmarks of Black History Call No.: E185.93 V8 V57 1995 Special Collections, Newman 3rd floor and Remote Storage (requires notice for retrieval)