Resources by format
The University Libraries is a member of the Chicago-based Center for Research Libraries. CRL acquires and preserves newspapers, journals, documents, archives, and other traditional and digital resources. These resources are made available to member institutions to support advanced research and teaching in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences.
The Center makes available almost four million publications, archives, and collections to its member libraries to supplement their own holdings. Center resources include, in part:
- 6,500 international newspapers, many dating to the 1700's
- 4,500 U.S. newspapers, many dating to the colonial era, including 2,000 ethnic titles
- Foreign journals that are rarely held in U.S. libraries
- More than 800,000 foreign dissertations
- Area Studies – Major microform and paper collections from Africa, Latin America, Middle East, Europe, Asia, Southeast Asia, and more.
Use ILLiad to submit requests for center materials. Interlibrary Loan (ILL) makes the final decision about where to obtain requested items but if you have identified through their catalog that CRL holds the item you want, you need an extended run of a serial or newspaper, or you need to borrow for an extended period of time please indicate that information in the Notes field of the ILLiad form. Please be advised that many CRL holdings are microfilm or microfiche copies of the original. Whatever format Virginia Tech ILL receives is the format that is passed to the requestor.
- Three months with unlimited renewals, unless recalled by another researcher.
- Borrowers are obligated to return recalled materials immediately.
- Items with fewer than 50 pages are routinely delivered digitally (which you can then keep forever).
- Last Updated: Jan 12, 2023 3:59 PM
- URL: https://guides.lib.vt.edu/find/byformat
- Print Page