Resources by format
Looking for more specific patent and trademark help? Hop on over to our full Patent and Trademark Guide that provides support for inventors, researchers, entrepreneurs and more!
This list of resources will enable you to retrieve most U.S. patents or trademarks, if you have a specific citation. However, if you have a product idea and want to determine if a similar item has been patented, searching these resources to determine patentability may be difficult. Patent and trademark searching can be very complex, and unless one has experience the results may not be valid.
United States, European, and Canadian patent sites
Other free patent resources online
- University owned patents from Free Patents Online
- Data for about 150 universities (mostly American) is available, including Virginia Tech. Clicking on a name of a university will retrieve a list of US patents and published applications assigned to that university.
- National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Listing of inventors with brief biographies.
- Patent Information Users Group
- This site contains links to many patent resources worldwide. The site is oriented towards the serious patent searcher, not the casual browser.
- European Patent Office
- The EPO allows a single patent application to be filed in one of the three official languages (English, French or German), giving patent protection in all 18 member states of the European Patent Organisation
- Virginia Tech Intellectual Properties, Inc.
- Information about patents at Virginia Tech..
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- United Nations agency to oversee global intellectual property issues.
Trademark resources online
- Last Updated: Nov 10, 2023 1:35 PM
- URL: https://guides.lib.vt.edu/find/byformat
- Print Page