Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Interlibrary Loan @ VT
Each year we receive tens of thousands of lending requests from nearly 2,500 libraries for Virginia Tech-owned materials.
Libraries and other organizations should submit your requests through OCLC (symbol VPI), DOCLINE, or standard ALA ILL form (sent to us by mail or fax). You may also submit requests via ILLiad web-based accounts by contacting our Lending unit at 540-231-3044 or emailing us.
Virginia Tech (VPI) has transitioned to online-only instruction, and as a result our library has reduced its hours and services. Interlibrary Loan will not be able to fulfill requests for loans/print materials. We continue to fill requests from ejournals and scans of print resources.
Per the VIVA and ASERL guidelines, we will cease shipment of all outgoing materials to both lending and borrowing libraries.
We are working to cancel all outstanding borrowing requests that have not already been shipped by the borrowing libraries. If you encounter any that we have not already cancelled, please ignore them.
Thanks to everyone for their help as we work through this crisis.
- We lend returnable items for 16 weeks.
- Renewals are NOT allowed.
- The billing process for non-returned items starts two months after the due date.
- International requests are handled on an individual basis. We do NOT lend books overseas.
- You can request RUSH shipping on loans via UPS. Please supply your UPS account number if you wish to pay for RUSH delivery.
- RUSH article requests are charged an additional $15.00 fee over the standard $15.00 charge (if applicable).
- We prefer to send all articles electronically via Odyssey. If you are using stand-alone Odyssey, please be sure that your Odyssey address is included in your OCLC request.
- Virginia Tech no longer uses Ariel.
- We also use OCLC's Article Exchange to deliver articles for those libraries who do not use Odyssey.
What can be requested
Virginia Tech Interlibrary Loan lends:
- Theses/Dissertations prior to 1997 that have not been converted to scanned electronic format.
[Virtually all theses and dissertations dated after 1/1/1997, and those pre-1997 theses and dissertations that have been selected for scanning, are available only in electronic format from Virginia Tech's Electronic Theses and Dissertations page. About 35% of the electronic theses and dissertations are NOT available outside of VPI and cannot be printed out for ILL purposes.]
- Audio-visual materials (subject to review on case by case basis) with a four week loan period
- Software (subject to review on case by case basis)
- Newspapers on microfilm
- Maps (some items are non-circulating)
- AIAA binders (we prefer to send copies of specific papers if the numbers are provided)
- Journals (bound issues)
Items that cannot be loaned:
- Journals (current issues)
- Reference books
- Items in Popular Reading collection
- College catalogs
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
OCLC symbol: VPI
Interlibrary Loan / Newman Library
560 Drillfield Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Numbers to know
- ILL Lending: 540-231-3044
- Odyssey: 22.214.171.124
- Books: no charge
- Articles/Book chapters: $15.00 per item for none VIVA or ASERL libraries
- Media (DVD, CD, video, microfilm): no charge, except items must be returned via UPS or FedEx by the borrowing library.