Food & Drink History Resources @Virginia Tech (and Beyond): Wartime & Military Cooking & Food
An Introductory Note
Generally speaking, our military and wartime culinary materials are largely United States based and focused. These are books, publications, and manuscripts related to the U. S. military, U. S. experiences in conflicts, or are connected to U. S. military experiences abroad. However, you may also find some sources relating to non-U.S. military in the collection, though this is not our main focus. Items with short descriptions after them usually indicate manuscript collections and the links will take you the finding aid; items without descriptions usually indicate books or other cataloged publications and the links will take you to the catalog record.
Suggested resources below are organized by conflict or time period between conflicts. Resources can include books and manuscripts created at the time or at later dates (primary sources), as well as research on those eras (secondary sources).
Special Collections Culinary Links
From Knox Gelatine: Desserts, Salads, Candies and Frozen Dishes, c.1936
- History of Food & Drink Manuscript Collections
- Digitized Manuscript Collections
- Digitized Books
- What's Cookin' @Special Collections (blog)
- About the History of Food & Drink collecting area
- History of Food & Drink LibGuide
- Infant, Child, & Family Nutrition Resources LibGuide
- Cocktail History in America LibGuide