Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Special Collections Culinary Links
From Knox Gelatine: Desserts, Salads, Candies and Frozen Dishes, c.1936
Vegetarianism: Suggested Books & Publications
- Addresses & Essays on Vegetarianism, by Anna (Bonus) Kingsford and Edward Maitland TX392 .K5 Spec Large
- Fruits and Farinacea, the Proper Food of Man: Being an Attempt to Prove, from History, Anatomy, Physiology, and Chemistry, that the Original, Natural, and Best Diet of Man is Derived from the Vegetable Kingdom by John Smith TX392 .S6 1854 Spec Small
- Healthful Cookery; A Collection of Choice Recipes for Preparing Foods, with Special Reference to Health by Ella E. Kellogg TX837 .K45 1908 Spec Small
- La cuisine simple by Paul Carton TX392 .C37 1925 Spec Small
- Mrs. Rorer's Vegetable Cookery and Meat Substitutes : vegetables with meat value, vegetables to take the place of meat, how to cook Three Meals a Day without Meat, the Best Ways of Blending Eggs, Milk, and Vegetables by Sarah Tyson Rorer TX801 .R67 1909 Spec Small
- Uncooked Foods & How to Use Them: A Treatise on How to Get the Highest Form of Animal Energy from Food: with Recipes for Preparation, Healthful Combinations and Menus by Mr. & Mrs. Eugene Christian TX392 .C55 1904 Spec Small
- Vegetable Diet: As Sanctioned by Medical Men, and by Experience in All Ages. Including a System of Vegetable Cookery by William A. Alcott TX392 .A66 1853 Spec Small
- Vegetable Substances Used for the Food of Man by Edwin Lankester SB91 .L35 1832 Spec Small
- Vegetarian Cook Book by City of David, Israelite House of David as re-organized by Mary Purnell TX837 .M378 1934 Spec Large
- Vegetarian Cookery, by A Lady TX837 .K57 1866z Spec Small
- The Vegetarian Crusade: The Rise of an American reform movement, 1817-1921, by Adam D. Shprintzen TX392 .S446 2013 Spec Large
- Vegetarianism, The Radical Cure for Intemperance, by Harriet P. Fowler TX392 .F78 1886 Spec Small
- Why I am a Vegetarian by Benjamin Fay Mills TX392 .M55 1900z Spec Small
Suggested Manuscript Collections
Culinary Pamphlet Collection, c.1870s-1990s (Ms2011-002)
The collection includes small publications and pamphlets created and distributed by culinary, appliance, and food-related companies from about the 1870s to the 1990s. Most pamphlets contain advertisements, recipes, product information, testimonials, or some combination of all four.
Gary Ann Giovanni Culinary Papers, 1997-2004 (Ms2006-011)
Papers of Gary Ann Giovanni, a chef, caterer and cooking teacher active in Blacksburg, Virginia. The collection contains records, menus, and recipes from her catering jobs and from the cooking classes she taught for the local YMCA Open University. Also includes material related to the various community organizations for which Gary worked or volunteered, and some material associated with her sister, poet Nikki Giovanni.
Hauser Institute of New York City Collection (Acc2015-028)
Unprocessed collection containing a collection of six pseudo-scientific health, nutrition, cookbook, diet, and exercise books, and seven broadsides from between 1928-1930. Most were issued by the Hauser Institute of New York City, established and run by Bengamin Hauser (1895-1984).
Virginia Tech Dining Services Records, 1994-2013 (RG 8/2/1j)
The Virginia Tech Dining Services Records comprises award submission scrapbooks for events and dinners hosted by the Dining Services department of the Division of Student Affairs that were compiled and submitted for awards from 1994 through 2013. A 2009 schematic design for the food court Turner Place at Lavery Hall is also included.
Diets & Health Regimes: Suggested Books & Publications
- Household Manual of Domestic Hygiene, Food and Diet: Treatment of Common Diseases, Accidents and Emergencies, and Healthful Cookery, by John Harvey Kellogg RC81 .K375 1882 Spec Small
- The Household Monitor of Health by John Harvey Kellogg RC81 .K378 Spec Small
- The Itinerary of a Breakfast...by John H. Kellogg RC861 .K45 1920 Spec Small
- The New Dietetics: A Guide to Scientific Feeding in Health and Disease by John H. Kellogg RM216 .K55 1927 Spec Large
- Sunbeams of Health and Temperance: An Instructive Account of the Health Habits of All Nations...by John H. Kellog RA776 .K287 1889 Spec Folio
- Every-Day Dishes and Every-Day Work by Ella E. Kellogg TX837 .K29 1900 Spec Large
- Healthful Cookery: A Collection of Choice Recipes for Preparing Foods, with Special Reference to Health TX837 .K45 1908 Spec Small
- Science in the Kitchen: A Scientific Treatise on Food Substances and Their Dietetic Properties...by Ella E. Kellogg (1893) TX715 .K353 1893 Spec Large
- Science in the Kitchen: A Scientific Treatise on Food Substances and Their Dietetic Properties...by Ella E. Kellogg (1892) TX715 .K353 1892 Spec Large