Special Collections and University Archives Resources for APS1704: Food & Foodways (incl. traditional medicine, farming, & agriculture)
Resources for APS1704 at Virginia Tech Special Collections and online through Virginia Tech and other institutions.
About Special Collections and University Archives
New Theatre (the Lyric) and Store Building for the Blacksburg Realty Company
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm & By Appointment
- Best, Billy F. Saving Seeds, Preserving Taste: Heirloom Seed Savers in Appalachia, 2013. Call Number SB 118.38 B47 20013 Spec Large
- Crellin, J. K. Trying to Give Ease: Tommie Bass and the Story of Herbal Medicine, 1997. Call Number: RS 164 B324 C74 1997 Spec Large
- Dabney, Joseph. Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine: The Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian Cooking, c1998. Call Number: TX 715.2 S68 D43 1998 Spec Large (2 copies)
- Encyclopedia of Appalachia, 2006. Call Number: F 106 E53 2006 Spec Large
- The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery, 1992. Call Number: TX 715 F826 1992 Spec Large
- Foxfire's Book of Wood Stove Cookery, c2006. Call Number: TX 715 F827 2006 Spec Small
- A Foxfire Christmas, 1996. Call Number: GT 4986 A77 F68 1996 Spec Large
- Gabbard, Alex. Return to Thunder Road: The Story Behind the Legend, 1992. Call Number: HJ 5021A127 G3 1992 Spec Large
- Marriott, Norman G. Meat Carving, 2000. Call Number: LD 5655 A762 no.458-002 Spec VPI
- Savor the South Cookbook series from the University of North Carolina Press. A complete list of items in Special Collections from this series is available online.
- Skeens, Betty. Grazing Along the Crooked Road: Recipes and Stories--Past and Present, c2008. Call Number: TX 715 S575 2008 Spec Large
- Chapman J. French Papers 1903-1957 (Ms2009-034). Finding aid available online. Includes information on home brewing.
- Earl Palmer Appalachian Photograph and Artifact Collection 1880-1989 (Ms1989-025). Finding aid available online. Many photographs from the collection have been digitized and are available online.
- Johnson Farm Historic Resources Study Report, 1990 (Ms1990-061). Short description available online.
- "National Diary" Recipe Book, [1914?] (Ms2009-051). Finding aid available online. Includes information on home brewing generally.
- Rural Retreat (Virginia) Percheron Co-Operative Breeding Association Ledger, 1939-1944 (Ms2013-042). Finding aid available online.
- Willis E. Franklin Patent, 1872 (Ms1967-001). Finding aid available online. Relates to bee-keeping.
- United States Bureau of Internal Revenue Distillery Forms, 1902-1913 (Ms2008-095). Finding aid available online.
Other Resources (Online or beyond Special Collections)
- Photographs from the Historical Photograph Collection (List of Subjects), 1890s-present.
- A small portion of this collection, relating to Appalachia generally, is available online.
- A small portion of the collection relating to agriculture at Virginia Tech is available online.
- A small portion of the collection relating to agriculture, including in Appalachia, is available online.
- Photographs are organized in folders by topic, a list of which is available in the finding aid. All materials can be viewed by visiting Special Collections when we are open.