Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About Special Collections and University Archives
- Dulaney, Ben. An Economic and Social Survey of Washington County, 1932. Call Number: HC 107 V8 V8 no.17 Spec Large and Newman 3rd floor
- Encyclopedia of Appalachia, 2006. Call Number: F 106 E53 2006 Spec Large
- Industrial Opportunities in the Land of Plenty: Served by the Norfolk & Western Railway, 195-? Call Number: HC 107 V8 N6 1950 Spec Large
- Kennedy, Ralph. An Economic and Social Survey of Wise County, 1928. HC 107 V8 V8 no.11 Spec Large and Newman 3rd floor
- Lilienthan, David. TVA: Democracy on the March, 1944. Call Number: TK 1425 M8 L53 Spec Large and Newman 5th floor
- Norfolk and Western Railroad Company (later Norfolk and Western Railway Company). Annual Reports (incomplete holdings from 1882-1965. Call Number HE 2791 N8122 and HE 2791 N8123 Spec Large
- Pavlick, Anthony. Quality of Rural and Urban Housing in the Appalachian Region, 1964. Call Number: HD 1751 A47 no.52 Spec Large
- Snidow, Francis. An Economic and Social Survey of Giles County, 1927. HC 107 V8 V8 no.8 Spec Genealogy and Newman 3rd floor
- Stuart, Robert C. The People and Economy of the Abingdon Area, 1948. Call Number: HC 108 A2 S8 Spec Large
- Study of High School Dropouts in Appalachia, 1985. Call Number: LC 144 A127 S89 1985 Spec Large
- Van Zandt, G. C. Coal and the Norfolk and Western Railway, 1996. Call Number: TN 805 Z6 N67 1996 Spec Large
- When the Trains Came to Norton, Wise County, in Old Virginia in 1891, 1941. Call Number F 2334 W86 W64 1941 Spec Large
- Withoft, Mabel. Oak and Laurel: A Study of the Mountain Mission Schools of Southern Baptists, 1923. Call Number: BV 25230 W5 1923 Spec Small
- Appalachian Regional Commission Teaching Project Records, 2001-2006 (Ms2011-041). Finding aid available online.
- Appalachian Student Organizing Committee Collection, 1964-1975 (RG31/14/10). Finding aid available online.
- Crown Cotton Mills [Dalton, Georgia] Oral History Tapes, 1984-1985 (Ms1988-023). Short description available online.
- Earl Palmer Appalachian Photograph and Artifact Collection 1880-1989 (Ms1989-025). Finding aid available online. Many photographs from the collection have been digitized and are available online.
- Harris Mountain Schools Collection 1913-1961 (Ms1961-001). Finding aid available online.
- Industrial Education Association for Southern Mountaineers Collection, 1930, 1936, n.d. (Ms2011-059). Finding aid available online.
- Montgomery Female College Collection, 1875-1892 (Ms2009-013). Finding aid available online.
- Norfolk & Western Railway and Associated Companies Collection, 1851-1978 (Ms2009-037). Finding aid available online.
- Schoolmaster's Journal, 1846 (Ms1990-010). Short description available online.
Photographs and Other Multimedia
- Photographs from the Historical Photograph Collection (List of Subjects), 1890s-present.
- A small portion of this collection, relating to Appalachia generally, is available online.
- A small portion of the collection relating to railroad, including in Appalachia, is available online.
- Photographs are organized in folders by topic, a list of which is available in the finding aid. All materials can be viewed by visiting Special Collections when we are open.
- Postcards from Appalachia, 1901-1941 (Ms2015-032). Finding aid available online. Selected postcards have been digitized and are available online.
- Preston Leech Glass Slides and Cassette Tape, c.1900-1925, 1994 (Ms1994-003). Short description available online.
- Virginian Railway Photographs, 1945-1959, undated (Ms2013-015). Finding aid available online.